Last Summer Michael took up a new daddy-daughter hobby, he started taking Grace fishing. She really took to it (partly because they always go with friends and often stop for donuts, what kid wouldn’t love that?!)
This weekend is Free Fishing Weekend here in Michigan, for two whole days folks can fish for free without a license. While Michael now has his fishing license and a tackle box complete with fish hooks and bait, it hit me that he (unlike me) doesn’t carry around a Mary Poppins bag full of tricks for kids. So I decided to put together a little Mary Poppins gone fishin’ bag for him.
I knew that it needed to be compact, otherwise there would be no hope of Michael keeping it in his tackle bag. So when I saw this first aid bag on an end cap at Target I knew it would be perfect for the job — bonus it was free with the purchase of 3 first aid products (what toddler mom doesn’t need to buy a stockpile of bandaids, right?!)
Here’s what I included in our little kit:
- Purell hand sanitizing disposable wipes (safe to clean little hands that might touch worms and bait, eww)
- Visine (Michael eyes sometimes get irritated so I usually keep a bottle in my purse for him)
- sunscreen face-stick for Grace
- Johnson & Johnson travel first aid kit (the kind you find in the travel/sample aisle complete with bandaids, cleansing wipes and gauze)
- first aid instruments kit (I found this for like $2 on that same end cap as the bag.) It comes with scissors, tweezers and a mini flashlight on a caribeaner — bonus I can loop a few of Grace’s hair ties on the caribeaner so they’ll always have extra on hand for last minute pony-tails.
- tic tacs – just because Michael likes them *wink*
I plan to stuff an extra pair of undies in one of the pockets (while Grace isn’t prone to accidents you never know what might happen on the water.) I added their own spray can of sunscreen (note: to avoid having to remember to transfer it between bags it’s best if they have their own sunscreen for fishing.) I also picked up a cute floppy fisherman’s hat from the Target Dollar Spot, gotta keep my ginger baby protected from that hot summer sun.
Boom! There you have it, they’re Mary Poppins ready to go fishing!
PLEASE NOTE, I HAVE NOT BEEN PAID TO SAMPLE OR REVIEW THESE PRODUCTS. THE OPINIONS IN THIS POST ARE BASED ON MY OWN PERSONAL MOM-EXPERIENCES AND OPINION.